Established in 1972, this park contains the only remaining coal tipple on Vancouver Island. This concrete tipple was built in the early 1900s by the Pacific Coal Company, and was the first of its kind in the region. The tipple is all that remains of the Morden Coal Mine, which once thrived here. The first sod was turned at this mine in 1912; in its first year of operation the mine produced 76,000 tonnes of coal. A historic railway right-of-way also runs through the park, as well as a maintained trail to Nanaimo River.